Sunday, August 16, 2009

Samantha's in Ichinohe

I'm sure all, or most of you, have followed the difficulty in getting Samantha here. It was very stressful and very difficult, but she is finally in Ichinohe with me. We had a pretty good time in Tokyo, but we're both glad to be home. So far all she has really done in Ichinohe is get a grand tour of the town and a library card. Considering how small the town is and how little I know of it the grand tour was a trip to the grocery store and home goods store. Its a bit of a walk from the house but not too bad. It will be especially easy after we get bikes.

In other news, I got payed today. Its a nice feeling, though without a bank account I just have a fat wad of cash. The reason that I don't have a bank account is that my Alien Registration Card has not gone through. I also don't have my insurance card yet either. On other banking news, I found out that Japan does not have joint bank accounts. When you get married it's normal for the bank accounts to be put into the wife's name and the husband to get an allowance from her. Since, my Japanese is better and I will get my Alien Registration sooner, Samantha and I will be bucking that tradition and will have the account in my name. She can just use my cash card to get cash when she needs it. I do wonder if they will pay us in cash every month. Stephanie has a bank account and our boss Sugosawa just handed her an envelope with cash in it too.

The first pay check is a great thing to have because we can now buy some things that we where holding off on like bikes, a rice cooker, rice, cellphones and a few other odds and ends. This month we will spend more of the pay then we will in subsequent months but we are both determined to keep the budget we are making and it looks like my income will be able to support us comfortably.
The pictures are of us in Tokyo.



No comments:

Post a Comment