Thursday, August 6, 2009

It's always the little things

My computer is being... frustrating.

This is not the first time that I have found myself in this situation.

Let me paint you a picture. (Those of you who deem themselves computer illiterate might just want to jump past the big block of text.)
Two days ago, my computer was fine. I could check my email and surf the boundless shores of the internet without undue ire. Then my dad bought me a webcam. (His hope was that I might be able to video chat with him while sequestered in the frozen north of Japan.) I installed the software gleefully, completely unaware of the trouble that lay in wait for me. Huzzah! The camera works! It shows me my own pixelated face in a little box on my monitor. I open up skype to make my first ever video chat... skype crashes. No problem! I'll update my version of skype, surely that should fix it... it didn't. Oooohkayyy, lets defrag the computer/delete unnecessary files to make room/ restart several times! That cocktail has never failed me before.... until now. Wait, why isn't Yahoo letting me open my mail? Why is everything running slow? Did this machine seriously just fail to run it's own Search function? AUUUUGHHHHHHH.
It was time for me to face the most likely truth. I had a VIRUS. A big, ugly gorilla of a virus. I'm still not sure if the whole thing is gone, even as I type this. While I'm working on ridding myself of the dregs of viral infection I'm left with this:

It shouldn't bother me this much to have my computer threatened, but it does. This sorry hunk-a-junk is going to be my direct link back to the people I love in America (and elsewhere for that matter). Sure, Caleb has a computer too, but that's his computer. I want my computer to work. Thankfully, both my brother and Brandon have given me some very calming reassurance. (If need be I can always purge this whole thing by reformatting it. )

Somewhere in the middle of this technical debacle, I got the sneaking suspicion that all this wouldn't bother me if the big move wasn't only a few days away.

It's always the small things that send us sputtering into the land of hysterics.

Personally, I'm hoping that this is my biggest upset between now and August 11th, and that my computer will bend to my will sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment