Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Festival

I can safely say that this festival has wrung us out. Here was our basic schedule for this past weekend.


Friday: I help pull the giant cart around town.. for 6 hours. After work, Claire and Caleb joined me.

Saturday: Caleb pulled the cart. Miyuki, Rachael and I went to the salon to get our hair festival ready.
The hairdresser had no trouble with Miyuki's hair, but found my hair to be too thick and Rachael's hair to be too thin. Somewhere between the two of us is perfect hair for Japanese festival hairdos.
In the evening All of us danced the Ichinohe dance about a mile down the main road. (If I can navigate the treacherous youtube upload system there will be a video of this soon.)
The woman who dressed us in the yukata grumbled constantly about the size of my chest and the size of Claire's hips. We were not built for kimono. Racheal and Miyuki were fine though.

After the dance Claire had an after party. JETs came from miles around to attend.
Sunday: We attended a pottery firing at the Goshono Jomon center. (Which I should probably write a post about.) After the pottery firing we helped pull the cart for about 7 hours and attended an after party with the other people who pulled the cart.
We've had a great time but I'm so glad to relax.


This is just a scattering of pictures that other people took. I'm encouraging Caleb to get on soon and post some of the pictures we took with our camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment