Saturday, September 25, 2010

Earthquakes

I had never felt an Earthquake before I came to Japan. Now, I have been through more than a dozen small ones. At first I was quite frightened of any Earthquake because I imagined the house falling down having to dive under a table and what not. These types happen sure but much more common are small quakes that leave you going was that a quake or did the door just start rattling. I have become so jaded to them that when they happen at night I wake up for about 5 seconds think about opening the door so that if the house shifts we can leave room. However, I always fall back to sleep without even getting out of bed. When one happens during the day we all just stand still to see how strong its going to be and just wait it out. The only way to describe a quake is bizarre suddenly what has for your whole life been solid is now moving. Things rattle and your drink might spill but mostly everything is fine it just happens to be moving. If there was a big one all bets are off and its going to be so terrifying but till that happens I'll keep being surprised by how normal they are.

1 comment:

  1. I only experienced one (at least one that I noticed) but that's basically what it felt like. I proceeded to run down stairs (dumb really) and ask my host mom about it. Hmmm, earthquakes....

    ReplyDelete