Sunday, February 6, 2011

Setsubun

Samantha and a demon.サマンサと鬼。


This Wednesday Samantha and I got to take part in Setsubun. Setsubun is a Japanese holiday that takes place the day before the first day of spring. The point of the holiday is to drive out bad things from your life. The way to do this is to throw peanuts at demons. The demons represent all the bad things in the coming year. In Okunakayama the way Setsubun is celebrated is some of the men of the town dress as demons. The demons go to different houses and the children throw peanuts at them. This year I got to play one of the demons. There were four demons, a black, a red (pink), a green, and a blue. I’ll let you guess from the pictures which one I am. (Hint I’m the tall one.) As demons we went to the Special needs school in Okunakayama and the houses of Elementary school kids. Some of the special school students had practiced English greetings or English Setsubun phrases, like, “Demon out good luck in.” The Principal of the school wanted me to yell in English. Since, raaaaaaarrrrrrrrrr is the same in any language I would yell, “I’m a demon.” After that I would nearly laugh, so maybe I wasn’t the scariest demon. Many students had also made paper weapons to fight the demons. After the special school we went to some of the families from the Church and the local Elementary school. The youngest kids were very very scared of us. I was surprised how sacred some kids were. I thought one child was going to hyperventilate. After he threw all the beans he just stood there shivering and breathing hard. Another child gave the most serious yeses when the black demon asked if they would be a good child in the year. She bowed and said yes like she was in the army. Many kids cried when they ran out of beans. The crying made getting pictures with the demons and the kids a bit of a problem. The best though was when we went to the house Samantha and Rachael were waiting at. We went up to these big windows before we started yelling. They jumped about a foot in the air. The black demon gave all the kids a snack after words. Many of the kids both wanted the snack but didn’t want to get close to the demon. So they grabbed it and ran away. The mask I wore was interesting. It had very small eye holes so I could only see directly in front of me. Because of this I was stumbling around like a drunk. Setsubun has got to have been one of the best things I have done in Japan. It will definitely be one of my favorite memories of my life in Japan.
Demon attack. 鬼アタック。

For some more Japanese study I have decided to do the blog in English and Japanese. Before I go back to America I want to pass the 2nd rank of the Japanese Language Test. I’m trying to use my Japanese more by reading and writing. So, I will do my best to write in Japanese.

この水曜日、サマンサと私は節分に参加することになっていました。節分は日本の祭りで、立春の前日です。祭りの意味は悪い物をおいはることです。その方法は鬼にピーナッツを投げるのでうす。鬼は来る年の悪い事を意味します。奥中山での節分のいわい方は町の男たちが鬼に扮します。鬼たちは色々な家に行って、子供たちは鬼にピーナッツを投げます。今年、私は鬼になりました。今年は、4人鬼がいました。黒鬼、赤鬼(ピンク)、緑鬼、青鬼でした。私はどの鬼ですか?(ヒント:私は背が高い鬼です。)鬼になって、奥中山の特別支援学校と
近くの小学校生の家に行きました。何人かの特別支援学校の生徒は英語でのあいさつと英語の節分の表現「鬼は外、服は内」を練習しました。校長先生は私に英語でわめいてほしがりました。でも、「らああああああ」は何語でもないから、英語で「私は鬼です」とわめきました。わめいた後で笑っていたから多分私は一番怖い鬼ではありませんでした。鬼とたたかうのために沢山の子供は紙のぶきを作りました。特別学校の後で教会と小学校生の家に行きました。一番小さい子供たちはとても、とても恐れました。何人かの子はあまりにこわがっていて、こちらがびっくりしました。一人の子はかこきゅうになるかと思いました。全文豆を投げた後、ぶるぶるふるえ、くちをぱくぱくして居間に立っていたのです。別の子は黒鬼が「この一年良い子でいられるか?」とたずねると、大真面目に「はい、はい」と言いました。あのおじぎと「はい」は軍隊ぽかったです。一番面白かったのはサマンサとレチェルの待っている家に行った時です。大きなまどにちかづいていき大声をあげました。彼女たちは空中に高く跳びました。黒鬼は子供皆におみやげをあげました。子供達はおみやげほしいけど、鬼に近づきたくはありません。だからおみやげひったくると、鬼から走ってにげました。鬼の仮面は面白かったです。仮面の目が小さすぎて、そばの物もぜんぜん見えません。だから酔っ払いみたいにつまずきました。奥中山の節分は私の日本生活の中でいい経験になりました。

もっと日本語の勉強のために英語と日本語でブログを書く事します。アメリカに帰る前に日本語能力試験の二級合格したいです。毎週、私は日本語読むし書くし練習してみます。日本語で書く事がんばります!

Racheal with demon killing beans. レィチェルと鬼殺すピーナッツです。

No comments:

Post a Comment