Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Oddities

Hey I was going to post this whole thing about Sports day at Chokai, but then I realised that all the really cool pictures we have of Sports day, are pictures of the kids. It's a big no-no for a JET to post pictures of the kids online. I'll see if I can crop the kids faces or something, but for now the Sports day post is shot.

Whelp, my motivation to write another serious post is minimal. Instead, I'll assume that you all need more Japanese oddness in your life. Don't we all?

Might I introduce Mameshiba?

Mameshiba are these little talking beans from a set of truly brilliant commercials. (Check out the Jellybean one, it's my favorite.) They've got all kinds of merchandise too. They're known for saying "ne shiteru?" (Did you know?) and then unloading some strange fact upon innocent bystanders. If nothing else, these adorable little beans have taught me "ne shiteru?" ... Unfortunately I have very little need to ask people that.

4 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing these :) just watched a bunch on youtube. i like the coffee bean :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. かわいい!
    See, hiragana is not completely useless ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tee hee, beans!!!

    Question: Do people walk around barefoot outside when it's warm there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Samantha here under Caleb's name.

    I've noticed kids in their own yard barefoot, but no one else.

    Everyone from 8-80 will wear sandals and flip-flops though.

    ReplyDelete